Pregnant and Which Makeup To Use?
I have always been cautious when it comes to selecting my makeup and skincare products. Even since I was in my early 20s, I worried that what I put on my skin might disrupt my hormones. At the time, it was not easy to convince many of my friends about these risks, as we grew up mostly concerned about getting the lowest price and neglecting the potential harm to our health.
I still remember reading in a health magazine, “We put in better grade gas in our car than food and skincare products we would use on our body.” That was my wake-up call.
As a result of this change in thinking and in what I bought, when I was pregnant with my first child, I didn’t have to swap out many things. This is not the case with many new moms-to-be. I used to get text messages from friends and friends of friends asking what they should be purchasing in place of their conventional mascara, skin cream, or cleaning products. Eventually, I created a short list of my healthy recommendations that I just cut and pasted instead of typing it out for each of them.
- If you must dye your hair, be sure to go for ammonia-free products.
- Opt for acetone-free nail polish remover.
- Avoid buying skincare, makeup, and bath and body products that contain paraben, phthalate and PFAS.
- Eat organic or locally sourced produce whenever possible.
- Be selective about the type of animals you ingest as we are all made of energy and certain cultures are adamant about how they slaughtered animals.
- You will have cravings, so choose wisely. It is not a license to eat any junk food or sugary snacks. Many women end up having high blood glucose at the last trimester so remember the health of your baby and you is in your hands.
- Do not place Wi-Fi devices such as your laptop or cellphone on your tummy as the signals (electromagnetic radiation) are very strong.
- You can read more about my article here: https://www.shaughnessypharmacy.com/blogs/news/rethink-wifi-safety.
- Consider reducing the amount of microwaved food you eat.
- Your emotions can roller coaster up and down. I managed mine through meditation, journaling, as well as weekly acupuncture treatment with Dr. Tanya Gee. Your lower back will ache, and your hips will feel sore from the extra weight. For pain management, I highly recommend Dr. Peter Tsang, Dr.TCM.
- Lastly, be kind to yourself. Your body is changing before your eyes. Embrace the change with lots of love and compassion. It can be both a very scary and exciting time. I highly recommend adding some yoga into your lives and learning to connect with your body. Kristen McCarthy Yoga is one of my favourite yoga teachers in Vancouver.
It is great to see that more and more people are starting to pay more attention to their makeup and skincare products as well as their household cleaning products. I never bought Windex or Clorox Bleach. We use very green cleaning products, and our toothpaste has been fluoride free for ages.
I am happy they are taking the initiative to live a cleaner and healthier lifestyle. The less toxic substances we put into our bodies during pregnancy, the healthier our babies will be. In fact, our mental state is super important too. I knew how much more important it was to unplug and relax during my pregnancy, so I made sure to continue my practice of meditating twice a day during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, some moms will be even more sensitive to the beauty products they once were okay with. I am proud to say that the entire Amaterasu line is so clean that I felt great using it during my own pregnancy, and in fact, I am thrilled to recommend it to new moms-to-be knowing that they are not adding more toxic load into their bodies.
Don’t forget that post pregnancy your hormones are still all over the place. I found my skin to be super oily and my hair and lashes were definitely producing much more oil. I was so glad the Silk Goddess Mascara was meant to balance oil production as many of our eyeliners are super resistant to oil and sweat as well.
Yes, during pregnancy you will feel super warm one day and then chilly the next or your skin may erupt with blemishes like you are a teenager again. But your looks and your health don’t have to suffer. During this time, it is very important to replace conventional makeup and skincare products with cleaner alternatives.
I am confident that the Amaterasu line will keep you stress free when it comes to makeup staying put so you don’t have to worry about smudges, even on days when you suddenly get emotional.
Enjoy the process.
Sending you lots of love!